CBD for pets is becoming popular because of the multitude of health benefits associated with it. Because of this, pet parents are using cannabidiol health and wellness products to treat the symptoms of various disorders in dogs and other pets. It is a better option than pharmaceutical veterinary drugs due to very minimal side effects. Besides, it is preferred by many veterinarians as a complementary medicine that enhances the effect of regular treatment for diseases. In this article, we will discuss various points that you must know before giving CBD to your dog.
Is CBD For Dogs A Fake Product?
The use of cannabidiol (CBD) for treating various ailments in dogs is relatively new. It became popular, especially after the passing of the US Farm Act that legalized the cultivation of hemp plants for medical purposes. Also, the market is still unregulated. Because of this, many fake products are floating around along with genuine ones. This can make it difficult for pet owners who are new to this, and it is quite natural to be skeptical about reading unbelievable claims by manufacturers. The best way to avoid fake products is to do thorough research about the various aspects of CBD products for dogs and other pet animals.
What Is CBD For Dogs?
CBD for dogs is the generic term for cannabidiol products that are used for treating the symptoms of various ailments in dogs. Legally available CBD items are made from hemp plant strains that have less than 0.3% THC. You must be careful about this because dogs are extremely sensitive to THC; they have a higher concentration of cannabinoid receptors in their central nervous system, especially in the hippocampus region of the brain. So, buy cannabidiol products that are specifically formulated for dogs. Apart from this, CBD for dogs can be used as a supplement to improve overall wellbeing, as well as a preventive measure against the development of cancer and autoimmune diseases.
Finding High-Quality CBD Oil For Dogs
The market for CBD for pets is unregulated, and this increases the risk of coming across fake cannabidiol products for pets. Listed below are the important points that you must consider before buying them.
- Organic Certification: High-quality CBD products, including oils, are made from hemp plants that are cultivated organically. You must ensure this because dogs are sensitive to toxins.
- Extraction: The method used for extracting CBD oil significantly impacts its quality. Carbon dioxide extraction is used in high-quality products because it produces a highly pure product. But cheap extraction methods use solvents like hexane, propane, and butane that are potentially toxic.
- Third-Party Lab Testing: Reliable pet CBD products will be tested by independent third-party labs and provides a certificate of analysis (COA). This ensures that there are no toxic chemicals, residue solvents, pesticides, heavy metals, etc., in the product.
- THC Content: CBD oil for dogs must be made from strains of the hemp plant that has less than 0.3% of THC.
CBD oil for dogs is available in different potencies, and it ranges from 75 mg of CBD to more than 300 mg of CBD. To get the maximum benefit, select the one that is suitable for your dog’s weight. For example, smaller dogs require 75 mg of CBD, while larger dogs require potencies above 300 mg of CBD.
Administering CBD Oil For Dogs
The most widely used cannabidiol product for the overall wellbeing of dogs is CBD oil, and this is because of its versatility. It is produced from CBD-rich flowers of the hemp plant and further processed to minimize its THC content. Also, ensure that it is a high-quality product so that your pet experiences maximum benefit.
Start with a low dose, i.e. 0.25 mg of CBD oil per day, and monitor how your dog responds to it. Then, slowly increase the dosage at fixed intervals. While doing this, you must consider your dog’s weight, size, breed, and level of activity. This is because these factors affect the rate of CBD metabolism. Also, you must know that some medicines react with CBD resulting in adverse side effects. Likewise, some health conditions also affect the metabolism of CBD. Because of these factors, it is important to consult with the veterinarian before administering it for your dog.
Listed below are some general formula strengths of CBD oil for dogs
- 75mg CBD oil = 2.5mg of CBD per ml of oil
- 150mg CBD oil = 5mg of CBD per ml of oil
- 300mg CBD oil = 10mg of CBD per ml of oil
- 600mg CBD oil = 20mg of CBD per ml of oil
Apart from the size of the dog, the severity of symptoms also determines CBD oil dosage. For overall wellbeing, 25 mg of CBD per day will suffice. But, chronic conditions like arthritis pain requires higher doses.
These are the important points that you must consider when buying, as well as administering CBD for dogs.